Register Now for the 2018 River Rat Race Parade!
The parade kicks off immediately following the Big Cheese 5K Race (Approximately 9:30am) on April 14th 2018.
Official registration is closed. You may still register but you will not appear in the line ups. All late entries must proceed to the end of division 5 (Riverbend School).
As in past years, members of the Athol Fire Department will be along the lineup route with radios to wrangle people into position. Please follow their instructions.
1. The parade starts on School Street around Our Lady Immaculate Church. It proceeds down the hill to Main Street, turns left at the Library then proceeds to Lord Pond Plaza where the carnival is. There are multiple staging areas for lining up. Please know your division, staging area and the route to get to the staging area. It is each group’s/organization’s responsibiltiy to communicate those details to its members.
2. School Street will be closed to regular traffic at approximately 8:00AM.
If you have a vehicle/float in the parade, you have access.
If you are dropping off marchers please do that at the CCD center off Main Street. Do NOT attempt to drive on School Street to do that. You can also drop off marchers at the Congress Street side of Riverbend School if that is closer to your lineup position. Congress Street is to the right of the school as you face it.
3. The parade lineup will begin at 8:15AM. All participants are asked to arrive then. Sure, it’ll be a little crazy for a while but that’s what River Rat is all about. Be kind and follow the AFD’s instructions. You will find your division, position and where to proceed to get into place on the next page.
4. It’s important to stay “bunched up” once you’re in position. You can spread out to a comfortable distance within your group once the parade begins to move.
5. The parade will step off (begin) at 9:30AM. If everyone that registered to participate shows up, we estimate it will last about 60-75 minutes.
6. We will post weather information as the date approaches.
7. Above all, HAVE A GOOD TIME!
Please be in control of your vehicle(s) at all times.
If you are marching, please be aware of the vehicles that may be behind you in the parade.
NO ONE MAY THROW, LAUNCH, PROPEL OR IN ANY WAY, CAUSE ANYTHING AT ANYTIME TO FLY THROUGH THE AIR INTO THE CROWD OR FROM THEIR VEHICLE OR THEIR PERSON IN GENERAL. This includes but is not limited to candy, trinkets, tee shirts, toys, food, etc. You may HAND OUT items. Handing out items means that a person physically places the object directly into the hand of the recipient. Throwing items results in children running onto the parade route and has resulted in injury. Please follow this rule.
Please follow the instructions of all emergency personal on site.
FINAL 2018 PARADE LINEUP
[at Our Lady Immaculate Church]
Athol Police Cruiser
Pequoig Detachment 1168 of the Marine Corp League Colorguard
Salvadore Automotive Group w/Grand Marshall Lt. Kevin Heath
Rep. Susannah Whipps, Sen. Anne Gobi
Athol Board of Selectmen & Town Manager Shaun Suhoski
Athol Royalston Education Fund
Athol Royalston School Committee
Athol High School Marching Band
[behind division 1]
Athol Daily News
Adams Animal Hospital
Integrated Vegetation Services
Athol Credit Union
Athol Lions Club
YMCA Camp Wiyaka and Youth Sports
[School Street at Riverbend Street]
Orange Community Band
North Quabbin Community Coalition and Recovery Center
Girl Scouts-North Quabbin Service Unit 122
Subway of Athol
Athol Mahar Youth Sports
Bear Country 95.3
Athol Orange Baptist Church
110 Grill Athol
Cubscouts Pack 40 Orange
Liberty Greys-7th Tennessee Co. D, Harris Rifles
[Park Ave between School Street and Allen Street]
Phillipston Animal Control
Millers River Watershed Council
Orange and Athol Farmers Markets
Roland Woodbury 1946 Ford Falcon
Petersham Frontier Girls Troop 448
Orange Chrysler Dodge Jeep RAM
[Allen Street between Park Ave and into Riverbend School parking area]
Athol-Orange Eagles Riders
Rolling Thunder Vermont Chapter
Boiler Bar and Grill
Doe Valley Farm Model A Ford
Pinebrook Camp and Conference Center
[ALL LATE ENTRIES SHOULD LINE UP HERE]
[School Street from Park Ave towards Main Street]
Wright’s Welding Race Team
Bill Kessler 1941 Packard with Cpt. Bill Purple
Massachusetts Military History Expo
Dale’s Auto Body & Towing
A&E Property Maintenance
North Central Mass Trash
[behind division 6]
New Salem Fire
Petersham Police Cruiser
Members of the Athol Fire Department will guide you to your lineup spot.
It’s important to stay “bunched up” while in the lineup positions. You can spread out to a comfortable distance within your group once the parade begins to move.
To register for this year’s parade please fill out the form below.
For more information regarding the 2018 River Rat Race visit riverratrace.com.